As technology becomes an ever-present part of our lives, so do the potential dangers associated with it. A recent study published in The American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology reveals a hidden public health risk that every parent should be aware of: infant electrocution due to smartphone charge cables.
The study reports a tragic incident involving a 9-month-old male infant who died from electric shock after biting a telephone charge cable plugged into a 3-socket extension lead. The infant’s father was working outside, and his mother had gone to the bathroom, leaving the infant unattended in the sitting room. The child crawled across the floor, reached the telephone charge cable, and bit the end of the cable. He was found lying motionless on the floor, holding the cable in his hand.
Medicolegal autopsy results revealed burns and electric shock entry wounds on the infant’s mouth, tongue, and right hand. Histopathological examination of the samples taken from the wounds confirmed findings consistent with electric shock and thermal effect.
This tragic incident highlights the importance of parental awareness of the potential dangers present in our homes, especially when it comes to children. Electrical products, such as smartphone charge cables, can pose serious risks when not properly used and monitored.
To protect your children and minimize the risk of accidents, consider the following safety tips:
- Keep electrical devices and cables out of children’s reach. Store them in a secure place when not in use.
- Supervise your children, especially infants and toddlers, closely when they are around electrical devices.
- Use childproofing measures, such as outlet covers, to prevent children from accessing electrical sockets.
- Opt for electrical products that have been tested and proven safe, ensuring they meet the highest safety standards.
- Educate yourself and your family about the potential risks associated with electrical devices and how to use them safely.
Parents play a crucial role in safeguarding their children from hidden dangers in the home. By staying informed, taking necessary precautions, and prioritizing safety, you can help prevent tragic accidents like this one from occurring.
The report examines the autopsy and scene of accident findings of a 9-month-old male infant who died from electric shock when he bit a telephone charge cable plugged into a 3-socket extension lead.At the time of the incident, the infant’s father was working outside and his mother had gone to the bathroom, leaving the infant alone in the sitting room. The infant crawled across the floor, reached a telephone charge cable that was plugged into a 3-socket extension lead, and bit the end of the cable. He was found lying motionless on the floor, holding the cable in his hand. He was sent to center for the medicolegal autopsy, during which burns and electric shock entry wounds were found on his mouth, tongue, and right hand. Histopathological examination of the samples taken from the wounds garnered findings consistent with electric shock and thermal effect.This article presents findings of an electric shock entry wound on the tongue, which is rarely seen as the result of a domestic accident. Education is needed to increase awareness among parents about accidents in the home involving children and to encourage preference for electrical products that have shown high success in safety tests.