The study on exposure assessment in commercial 5G networks has shed light on the impact of user-generated traffic on exposure from radio base stations (RBS) and smartphones. The innovative framework, 5G-EA, was designed to address the complex measurement requirements that arise from the interplay between 5G and legacy 4G networks. The results indicate that smartphone contribution dominates other exposure components, especially when considering uplink (UL) traffic. Moreover, 5G only constitutes a small share of the total radiation, and exposure tends to decrease under outdoor line-of-sight (LOS) conditions. These findings open the door for future research in the field of 5G exposure assessment.
Potential Future Research Directions
- Application of 5G-EA in various deployments: Investigating the use of the 5G-EA framework in different scenarios, including those subject to alternative exposure regulations or radio configurations, will provide valuable insights into the versatility of the framework.
- Evaluation of exposure with multiple user equipment (UE) models and locations: Expanding the exposure assessment to include various UE models and types, as well as different locations such as balconies or terraces close to serving RBS, will contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of exposure levels in different contexts.
- Assessment of exposure in 5G deployments with millimeter-wave (mm-Wave) frequencies: Exploring the exposure levels in 5G networks utilizing mm-Wave frequencies can provide essential information on the potential health risks associated with this technology.
- Examination of exposure during the use of common smartphone applications: Conducting extensive assessments while running popular smartphone applications, such as social media, video streaming, and online conferencing, will offer a more accurate representation of real-world exposure levels.
- Evaluating exposure in innovative 5G network deployments: The decrease of exposure observed in LOS locations suggests that deploying a dense 5G network with the majority of the territory in LOS with the serving RBS is the best solution to reduce exposure from terminals. This can also be achieved by installing intelligent surfaces (active or passive) to improve signal coverage. Assessing exposure in such innovative deployments is an essential future research activity.
The investigation of exposure assessment in commercial 5G networks has provided valuable insights into the impact of user-generated traffic on exposure from RBS and smartphones. The 5G-EA framework has proven to be a valuable tool in addressing the complex measurement requirements associated with 5G networks. The results obtained pave the way for future research to further explore the nuances of 5G exposure assessment, ultimately contributing to a safer and more efficient implementation of this emerging technology.
The Advantages of 5G Shielding and the QuantaCase Solution
The implementation of 5G technology has raised concerns about the potential health risks associated with increased exposure to radiofrequency (RF) radiation. However, the shorter wavelengths of 5G signals offer an advantage over previous generations of wireless technology, as they can be more easily shielded. One such solution that has been protecting people since the first generation of wireless networks in 1998 is RF Safe, a technology exclusively available in the QuantaCase.
5G and Body Shielding
The shorter wavelengths of 5G signals enable more effective shielding against RF radiation, reducing the exposure levels to the human body. This characteristic is particularly beneficial when compared to earlier generations of wireless technology, as it allows for more efficient protection against potential health risks associated with RF exposure.
RF Safe and QuantaCase
RF Safe, a proven technology since the inception of wireless networks in 1998, has been at the forefront of providing effective shielding against RF radiation. This technology is now exclusively available in the QuantaCase, offering users a cutting-edge solution for reducing their exposure to RF radiation from their smartphones and other wireless devices.
The QuantaCase is designed to minimize RF exposure without compromising the device’s performance or connectivity. By incorporating RF Safe technology, the QuantaCase provides an additional layer of protection, ensuring that users can enjoy the benefits of modern wireless communication without the worry of potential health risks associated with RF radiation.
As 5G technology continues to advance, it is crucial to prioritize the safety and well-being of users. The shorter wavelengths of 5G signals offer a distinct advantage in terms of body shielding, making it easier to protect against RF radiation exposure. The QuantaCase, with its exclusive RF Safe technology, presents a reliable and effective solution for reducing RF exposure and ensuring that users can take advantage of the latest wireless technology without compromising their health.